Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Language-focused lessons?!

• Mr Hamed, can I skip clarifying the pronunciation if Ls pronounce the TL correctly?

Mr Hamed,

I'll provide clarification and practice of the grammar of first conditional and future time clauses in the context of test results,

Must I clarify the meaning of the five clauses; when, as soon as, until, before, and after?

Or I should clarify some of them only.

Please, as soon as you can.

Sorry, Mr Hamed, I have a great confusion between clarify meaning and clarify appropriacy; are they the same stage or different? What if so?

Quote from Mahmoud Mostafa on May 22, 2019, 9:41 am
  • Mr Hamed, can I skip clarifying the pronunciation if Ls pronounce the TL correctly?

You need to check if they do not need any clarification of any pronunciation features if you want to not clarify anything, which is very rare that they need none.

Quote from Mahmoud Mostafa on May 22, 2019, 10:39 am

Mr Hamed,

I'll provide clarification and practice of the grammar of first conditional and future time clauses in the context of test results,

Must I clarify the meaning of the five clauses; when, as soon as, until, before, and after?

Or I should clarify some of them only.

Please, as soon as you can.

You need to clarify whatever you expect or aim for students to produce or practice by the end of your lesson.

Quote from Mahmoud Mostafa on May 22, 2019, 11:08 am

Sorry, Mr Hamed, I have a great confusion between clarify meaning and clarify appropriacy; are they the same stage or different? What if so?

Clarification is one stage. You do not need to write several clarification stages in your LP. Appropriacy refers to register or in/formality; that is if your target language is appropriate in some situations but isn't or change in other contexts. Often times, there is nothing to be clarified when it comes to appropriacy unless there is something that is only appropriate in spoken English but is not the same in written English or if there is something in particular that you cannot use when talking to your boss for example.

Please feel free to ask for any further clarification if needed.

Hey everyone

Could you please explain to me how to use the situational frame work ( the stages) as I have never used it before.. And if I can use a listening track in the situation stage or should I say it? (My main aim is grammar). If you don't mind, could you please send any lesson plans that use the same frame work from demo lessons or input session ( I will be grateful )

Quote from Ibrahim Elnagdy on May 25, 2019, 9:18 pm

Hey everyone

Could you please explain to me how to use the situational frame work ( the stages) as I have never used it before.. And if I can use a listening track in the situation stage or should I say it? (My main aim is grammar). If you don't mind, could you please send any lesson plans that use the same frame work from demo lessons or input session ( I will be grateful )

If I were to teach 'used to' using the situational presentation framework, I'd do something like this:

Language Analysis:

Marker sentence/ I used to smoke.

Concept:

- I started in the past

- I kept on smoking for a  long time

- I stopped in the past

- I do not do it now

- It was a past habit

* Lead-in: Students speak together about some activities and habits they used to do in the past but do not do anymore and discuss what made them stop these habits.

* Situation / Expand context: "You know, 5 years ago I wanted to try smoking. I smoked my first cigarette and I hated it at first but my second one tasted better. After a while I wanted to stop and I tried so hard for so long and so many times but I couldn't. I kept on smoking for almost 3 years. Until I had an accident 2 years ago and because of it I was finally able to stop. And I never smoked another cigarette since then." I'd tell this anecdote then elicit the TL by directing students' attention to the sentence on the board; I _______ smoke. Tell them that this is a sentence to describe the anecdote and ask them to complete it. Give feedback and start the clarification stage.

* Clarification

* Practice

So as you can see from the very brief example, the situational presentation is very similar to the text-based presentation framework but instead of exposing students to a text in which the TL and its concept(s) are included, you provide a situation with the concepts to present and/or elicit the TL.

I hope that clarifies enough.

Thank you very very much sir ❤❤