Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Intermediate part of the course, general info

Welcome everyone, this is your TP points for the next part of the course and a link for the material needed. Feel free to ask about whatever you need 🙂 ...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PU3_KyNgXDkyA0M0DPPWra0EfgjWkE1l

Wish you successful TPs,

Uploaded files:

Thank you miss Maha... I wish u r doing great too.. I have a question for u. My lesson is about vocab ( - ed & - ing adjectives) so in the clarifications stage I'll clarify the meaning using visuals but I have no idea how to clarify the form as it's only ( a participle verb or  v+ing) and Ofcourse I can't say that cz they may do it with any verb and that's wrong Ofcourse... The only part that works here is to show them the difference in meaning between Ed and ING suffix.. So..... What should I write in my LA sheet in the form clarification part?

Another question related to the same lesson..... In the meaning clarification stage... Should I clarify both meanings of the same adjective?.. For ex: ( bored - boring) both adjectives come from the same verb yet, the meaning differs.. So my question is ( should I clarify the meaning of both of them or maybe just one and elicit the second form?)

Quote from Nesma Essam on May 12, 2019, 11:51 am

Thank you miss Maha... I wish u r doing great too.. I have a question for u. My lesson is about vocab ( - ed & - ing adjectives) so in the clarifications stage I'll clarify the meaning using visuals but I have no idea how to clarify the form as it's only ( a participle verb or  v+ing) and Ofcourse I can't say that cz they may do it with any verb and that's wrong Ofcourse... The only part that works here is to show them the difference in meaning between Ed and ING suffix.. So..... What should I write in my LA sheet in the form clarification part?

This is a very good question, Nesma. In this lesson, the challenge actually is all about teaching meaning; just make sure that students understand that all these lexical items are adjectives. As for pronunciation, you will need to focus on the pronunciation of the suffixes -ed and -ing.

Quote from Nesma Essam on May 12, 2019, 11:47 pm

Another question related to the same lesson..... In the meaning clarification stage... Should I clarify both meanings of the same adjective?.. For ex: ( bored - boring) both adjectives come from the same verb yet, the meaning differs.. So my question is ( should I clarify the meaning of both of them or maybe just one and elicit the second form?)

Of course you will need to do that.

Hi again... 😂 ... I'm still confused when it comes to differ between gist, specific info and detailed tasks in listening or reading lessons... Specially true or false sentences tasks or listen and complete the sentence.  So.. I was wondering if you can help me to understand how to decide what kind of task is it by giving me examples for each one of these stages.

Quote from Nesma Essam on May 20, 2019, 6:28 pm

Hi again... 😂 ... I'm still confused when it comes to differ between gist, specific info and detailed tasks in listening or reading lessons... Specially true or false sentences tasks or listen and complete the sentence.  So.. I was wondering if you can help me to understand how to decide what kind of task is it by giving me examples for each one of these stages.

Thanks a lot, Ms. Nesma for asking this question

It's a very important one as many people may feel confused about it.

First, let's remember the aim of each one...

Gist listening/reading: to give the learner a reason to read or listen at a general level.

So what you search for at this stage is a general idea or ideas, which means you can elicit the whole one (listen and tell, were they happy / what is the speaker talking about)   or you Can elicit many general ideas (tick the ideas the speaker talked about / tick the things the speaker liked in this…)

Specific listening/ reading (skimming): listen to an individual item or information.

At this stage, you listen/read, then find certain information (names, number, place, object..etc)

Detailed listening/reading (scanning): listen at a detailed level.

Here, we can’t afford to ignore anything because we don’t know exactly what information about the listening passage will be necessary to complete the task. This term is sometimes confused with listening for specific information which is applied to occasions in which we don’t have to understand everything that’s been said, but only a very specific part.

Now, to sum up all this and answer your question, the gist is for general ideas, so if you found the question asking about something general it is gist and that could be one or more.. for the specific stage you don't need to understand anything you need to search for a certain information ..so if the T/F question asking for a specific information you don't need to listen/read to understand you will just follow the text and wait for the needed answer, it is specific..

If you need to understand a general idea or ideas, it is the gist..

If you need to understand every thing so you can get the answer it is detailed..

Quote from Nesma Essam on May 20, 2019, 6:28 pm